Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Wait Is Over

Third time lucky, I must say. I got the visa, finally on the third attempt. Truly speaking I thought I had greater chances during my previous two attempts. The letter from the professor and the affidavit from my sister proved to be the match winner.

During my previous interview I was on an official leave. As I thought there was less chance of getting the visa this time I opted not to apply for the leave. Whatever happens I had decided to go to the work. There was a strike from 6 am to 10 am in the morning called by the youth wing of CPN-UML. Lucky I was to get a vehicle to ride to the Embassy.

This time I had no fear. Whatever happens, it was going to be a new beginning. And I was already looking for colleges to continue my study here. I was in no hurry to be in line. Lucky… I will be using the word too often in this post as I think that was what I lacked on my previous attempts. Lucky I was to get a seat to wait, as there are around only 10 seats. And there came a pretty lady in black. Oh my! And with that grace I bet she was among the very best I have seen in years. And when she turned back and looked away, for some moment I forgot what was I there for?

Went inside, got my luggage [?] checked. I walked inside. Started waiting for my time inside. My eye was set on the exit door. Even I am rejected today, I won’t have any regret, I thought. I am not coming here again, I decided. As there was strike that morning, the consular had not arrived yet. But she did! Mine was #4 and her’s #16. At around 8:40 my time came. Number 9.

Luckily there was a different consular. And he had a go! Why are you going to Wyoming? So you came here before as well? I explained why I got rejected twice. Any changes to your document? I said nothing as such, only the letter from the university addressed to the Embassy has been added! Who is sponsoring your studies? What does your father do? What does your mother do? Any family member in the US? What will you do after returning to Nepal? And so on.

The funniest part… as he was smiling and asking the questions I felt, like previous consular he too will end up rejecting. He asked… Are you married? In a relationship? I said ‘Not married, but yes in a relationship!’ And that too with confidence as I was earlier said that ‘being in a relationship’ is a good reason to return and convince them!

So, the final word the consular said was ‘I think you are qualified to go to the US!’

I acted normal. Surprised again. Came outside where my brother was waiting. Raised my left hand gave him a thumbs-up! Now I wonder how did I miss the #16 after I got the visa… should have turned back and looked at her. Don’t know if she proved lucky!

So finally called home to report the good news! Called to my sister, she was the happiest of all… and I feel lucky to have given her the reason to be so. She has waited for this so long.

After receiving my passport two days later, I updated my Facebook relationship status to ‘in a relationship’ to honor the consular who finally gave me the visa. And loads of people responded! Now I feel sorry for the girl I saw that morning, #16, as she wasn’t there to collect the visa on 8th! Only around 12 individuals got the visa that day! I wish her luck for the next time.

For me, finally I am heading to US on 18th! Had a hard time getting the ticket as I had not booked the ticket this time around. Abu Dhabi – Dublin – Chicago – Denver… finally will meet my sister after over 2 years.

Now I wonder, how often had a professor written a letter to any embassy to grant his student a visa? There must have been, but for me it was unheard of. I am indebted to the faith he has shown on me. Now is my time to prove him right.

Wyoming – Forever West… I am coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment