Friday, March 1, 2013

A World Apart

“I’ve been around, you know?”, that’s what Al Pacino says in that epic climax of one the best movies ever made, ‘Scent of a Woman’… that movie is awesome! High repeat value!! A great/must watch!!! I wish to say that sometime in the future! I have always wished to visit places afar, meet people, enjoy the splendor of nature, understand different cultures, and enjoy life that way… Most of the people across the developing world and beyond dream to travel to the US and make it big… and as I am here myself, it provides me with a great opportunity to know and understand a lot of them... and being a student is an added benefit.
 
I don’t think I am good in too many things, but I would prefer geography more or less to be my home-ground, kind of… it has been my favourite pastime. It has aided me a lot to create a kind of image/stereotype of most of the people around the globe… and over generalization is like over confidence, doesn’t help in the real world that much. But that knowledge has been useful to break the ice, start the conversation and get it going on… and some of them wonder how I knew about them that much… Damn! It’s numismatist inside me that’s all to blame. Not bragging but I am a proud owner of coins from more than 80 countries and territories around the world and counting… that’s more than 33% right?
So far I have met people from every continent sans Australia and Oceania and tell you the truth they have been far different from anything I have read… and I believe that is what the real world beyond the pages of newspaper is… they only cover news that is sellable, and a lot of people like these never make it to that category… and that inspires me to retire early and hit the road to discover the world that there is beyond the horizon…
Given the image portrayed by 43rd President Bush, the Americans I’ve met seems to be from a world apart, I wonder if I am in the same America!… warm hearted, helpful... but that maybe the specialty of the Old West that is still alive here in Wyoming… Swiss, French, Greenlander, Zimbabwean, Ecuadorian, Mexican, Argentinean, Saudi, British… you name it and it feels like they are as good as it comes… maybe I am lucky in that case… I have always been proud of being a Nepali, always will be... but I won’t prefer to call myself one until and unless I have to… the Nepalese lot out here aren’t the one that you would like to relate or associate yourself with, as far as most of the ones that I know… I don’t know if I do fit in that category as well or not but truly speaking, they are mean and selfish… they would be a different being even if they are able to learn 10% from the people around… I have been lucky to have grown up in a nice surrounding, wonderful family and friends… maybe they were not that lucky enough…
Saudis are cool, and there are whole bunch of them out here… heard their association here have more than 250 active members… and some of them act as if they are ‘cold proof’, which I wrote about some time ago… most of the Chinese, who are in majority among international students, have damn big heads, literally, the size!... no offences but Vietnamese girls are the least pleasant to look at, must be a different case in Hanoi though, I believe… that Kenyan guy sports his phone with broken display as if it is the most coolest thing on the face of earth... and the way he carries that off, looks true… the Greenlander out here felt it was colder here than it was in Nuuk… and that Saudi guy didn’t? I can’t get to read that in any book, do I? So, it’s high time I earn some money so I can trot the globe after I finally decide to retire… the world is a damn big place, too many things to see… few to miss… and I don’t wish to miss any!
Post script: If someone says they represent two countries, ask them if they were born in the Soviet Union… that was the case about this girl I met who was born in Tashkent (now Uzbekistan) but was a Russian citizen… with Russia’s population on a negative trend they allow the people born in former Soviet republics to acquire their citizenship which the former republics don’t… or you may be talking to Mohammed, the guy who is a British citizen but his father is a Saudi, mother Canadian and lived last 8 years in Lebanon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment