Saturday, May 5, 2012

Swimmer Ervin Sells Gold Medal for Tsunami Relief

The box of mementos in Anthony Ervin's closet just got lighter, and the tsunami-relief effort is $17,100 richer.

Ervin, who tied U.S. teammate Gary Hall Jr. for first in the 50-meter freestyle at the 2000 Olympics, auctioned his gold medal on eBay. Bidding closed Sunday.

"It's really easy for anybody to be a good example," Ervin, 23, says of his decision to give the proceeds to tsunami relief, "and I certainly could have done a better job in the past. Hopefully, I'm making up some ground for that now."

Ervin traveled to Japan with Hall in December to give swimming clinics. Ervin was considering a return to competitive swimming and mulling what kind of charity work he could tie to that. A week after they returned to the USA, the tsunami hit Southeast Asia.

Ervin began training with Mike Bottom, his former college coach at California, in January. Ervin last competed at the 2003 world championships.

Ervin left swimming primarily to focus on music. He plays guitar, sings and composes in a variety of styles.

"I thought I wanted to inspire people in some kind of way, not realizing I was already doing it," he says.

He's continuing in music but also aiming for the 2008 Olympics, where, perhaps, another object for the memento collection awaits.

"Right now, my mentality is that which it was before 2000, which is try to make top six and put myself on a relay (team)," he says. "I'll be a pretty old man by then, but if I can stick with it, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to accomplish that goal."

Posted : 5/8/2005

No comments:

Post a Comment